We’ve all been there. Lodged in some fluorescent-lit transit room where the only place to sleep is on a conjoined, plastic seating arrangement that the airport sign mockingly refers to as a “lounge”. Well, thankfully as the world has become more travel-savvy and service-minded, our airport layover options have evolved. Here are some top best Airport lists:
1. The ultra busy London Heathrow Airport may be hard to navigate but it does have shower facilities in all its four terminals with the most basic packages starting at £15. In terminals 1 and 3, the diamond air lounge offers plush spa and beauty facilities in addition to bathroom suites for those in transit. Check this out when you have a chance to visit London.
2. Charles de Gaulle in Paris prides itself in its boutique shopping and repertoire of restaurants (would you expect anything less from the French?) but also offers sore in-transit travelers with a “Be-Relax” spa service. As far as showers or independent lounges go, however, there doesn’t seem to be any.
3. Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, Even though it is one of the busiest flight hubs in the world, there isn’t much at this airport for budding transit tourists. Unless, that is, you’re happy to while the hours (and cash) away at the airport casino or one of the many bars and restaurants.
4. Hong Kong International Airport is globally recognized as one of the world’s best airports due to its user-friendly planning and design. It also has very decent transit amenities including a 24 hour lounge with napping, massage and showering services and is linked to Hong Kong’s uber-efficient city train network.
5. Changi Airport, in our eyes, has no peer. The designer airport is one of those anomalies where the phrase “I spent all my time in the airport” is likely to be a positive. From two different lounges with top-class 24 hour napping areas, showers and spa facilities, to hotel and pool amenities, this airport further excels itself with innovative activities such as its Singapore Tours (created for those in transit for up to 5 hours who are granted a special pass to leave the airport on one of four city tour options), Nature Trail (with six themed garden reserves) and comprehensive dining and entertainment options. It’s little wonder this airport has its own fan club!
6. The recently completed Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok may have opened to a shaky start (quite literally as some of the runways developed cracks) but the Thai reputation for unrivalled service and hospitality will surely redeem this facility as the many massage services, karaoke and games rooms, day rooms and spa and fitness centre make it an attractive transit point for travelers.
7. With its reputation for harboring some of the most glitzy and superlative hotels in the world, Dubai International Airport doesn’t disappoint when it comes to airport transit services. With a variety of lounges ranging from independent VIP and business class facilities to simple, quiet napping areas, those on layover can rest with ease here. There is also a health club with gym, Jacuzzi and massage services.
8. The Incheon International Airport in Seoul is another Asian gem of an airport. It has a selection of shower and massage options, in addition to a napping lounge and exclusive transit hotel. Special layover Seoul tours are also available to those in transit.
Want to explore, instead of snore? Choose layovers with easy day trips.